Recent figures compiled by the PSNI covering the last 12 months (March 2017-2018), using data extracted from the police administrative system shows that crime levels in Northern Ireland have increased by 0.7% in the latest twelve months when compared with the previous twelve months.
Whilst Belfast City has seen a reduction in recorded crime in the last 12 months, some areas have seen an alarming increase. Areas such as Lisburn and Castlereagh, Mid and East Antrim and Antrim and Newtownabbey have all seen significant increases in recorded crime in the last 12 months.
See below for a detailed analysis of recorded crime by area:
In terms of types of crimes on the rise, it won’t surprise many that fraud, namely online is on the rise.
The last 12 months (when compared to the previous 12) show more than a 15% increase. This is an ever-growing area and one where we consistently urge caution to our clients.
In the same period there have been 131 robberies of business properties and 448 of personal properties. Whilst this number may be down slightly on 2017 figures, a combined number of 579 robberies is enough to show that criminals are still targeting more than 11 properties in NI per week.
So, with the above in mind, what can you as a home owner or business owner do to protect your property and assets?
Let’s break it down into 2 areas:
- Fraud (online)
- Tips to keep your property safe
- Install a high performing visual burglar alarm
- Install effective outside lighting
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the property, even when you’re just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key)
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox
- Tips to prevent fraud in 2018
- Keep current with your software and virus protection.
- Create strong passwords.
- Ignore emails from senders you don’t know.
- Use your pop-up blocker.
- Download files only from sites you know.
Only this week there have been reports of a spate of burglaries in Co.Down, and with the data above showing crime in areas like Lisburn and Larne to be on the rise, we would urge home and business owners/renters to be extremely vigilant at the moment.
Fraud and online crime is less easy to physically monitor, thus having robust systems in place is ESSential. We have steadily grown our cyber security offering and are now servicing many leading national and international business.
At ESS we are proud to deliver high quality security support for properties, people and your online systems, so please, for any FREE advice or to learn about how we can help, please contact us.
We are trusted by thousands of people and businesses and are proud of our 44 years’ of heritage.
Keep the burglars at bay